Friday, November 22, 2013

Small business spotlight - Etsy

Continuing with our small business theme... Let me introduce you to Etsy if you're not familiar with it.



I call it the E-Bay of crafters.  Etsy itself is not a small business, but it is a collection of small businesses.  Etsy consists of individually owned shops.  The shops sell things from clothing to jewelry to vintage items, to just about anything you can think of.  Many of the shop owners don't have a brick and mortar store.  They work from their homes.  It is the epitome of small business.

Here is an example. This my shop.  I have mostly sewn and knit items.  If you are a crafter, you can find patterns for various things as well.

One of my favorite shops is Sky Feathers Trading.  They sell beautifully hand crafted Native American items.  Many of the items can be customized.  I bought an amazing hand painted feather when our pastor left to go on to a new job.  The painting was customized for the journey she had already been on, as well as where her life was taking her.  It turned out beautifully.


These are some samples of the feathers.

In case you think you can't find anything for someone on your list, let me challenge you.  My father-in-law is one of the hardest people to shop for.  However, he loves Silverton, Colorado. I did a quick search on Silverton.  I found a wide variety of things, and one thing in particular that I think he'll love.  If he's reading this, no... I'm not going to disclose what it is.

Check it out and support these home based businesses.  They'll be happy to help you out.  Many stores have the ability to custom make gifts for you as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment